Camera test

HPD called Finner’s home during argument over COVID test

Finner’s wife told him she wanted to see proof of a negative COVID test, telling the top cop in town “he’s not above the law.”

She called 911 the afternoon of July 2, according to the report. Finner had stayed with a friend in Conroe to self-quarantine after testing positive for COVID on June 22.

HARDING STREET RAID: Harris County DA calls Houston man’s conviction a ‘disaster’ after HPD’s Gerald Goines installs drugs

There was no physical contact between Finner, his wife or anyone else, according to the report, which also states that no crime was committed. It was unclear from the report whether Finner was still infected when he visited his home.

“The Complainant stated that her husband came to their residence again and stated that he wanted to come in. The Complainant stated that she did not allow her husband to enter because her husband did not show her negative Covid test,” the report said. , issued as part of a public records request, lit. “The complainant’s husband kept knocking on the door and would not leave after being asked to do so. The complainant then told her husband that she was going to call the cops because “he didn’t want to leave. ‘is not above the law.’ She then called the police and said she had a verbal altercation with her husband and that no assault had taken place.”

Houston Police Department spokesman Shay Awosiyan said Thursday he would forward a request for comment to the chief, but pointed to a statement released by the department, as well as Finner’s videotaped remarks regarding the incident.

“There is no allegation of criminal conduct or violation of department policy,” said July 2 statement read. “There was disagreement over the chief’s recent COVID-19 diagnosis, which led to a family member contacting the police.”

LAST REVIEW: What should I do if my COVID test is positive? What to know as the BA.5 variant spreads in Houston

According to the report, a deputy chief who received notification of the call from Finner’s wife called Finner, who had left the residence, according to the report. Finner told the deputy chief that he visited the scene earlier in the day “without entering the house or having physical access to the occupants.”

“Chief Finner was unaware that a service call had been initiated and advised us not to treat this call any differently than any other service call,” the deputy chief wrote in the report.

In the 911 call, also posted this week, the chief’s wife described the situation as “a personal matter” and said there were no weapons or mental health issues involved.

“I guess you would call it, it’s a personal matter,” she told a dispatcher.

“OK, what’s going on,” asks the dispatcher.

“Um, well, I have a problem. I don’t want to be released, say exactly what’s going on. You know what my name is, but I need two officers, someone to come.. .”

“Is it like a disturbance is going on?”

“Well, it’s a little disturbing, but we have a problem which is a private problem. So I don’t know how I could tell you or anything because it will cross the dispatch.”

Meanwhile, the deputy chief wrote that they had asked others to “classify this report and the body-worn camera (BWC) footage as confidential”, although the reason is unclear. The documents show that a sergeant created a supplement “in an effort to make this incident report confidential, but without success”.

Finner has since recovered from COVID-19. He took part in a press conference on Monday to share details of a gun buy-back program scheduled for July 30.

[email protected]