Nashville, TN – The Nashville Sounds erased an early deficit and held off the Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp to claim an 8-5 win in front of 7,748 fans at First Horizon Park on Sunday afternoon. The win was Nashville’s fourth in the six-game series, giving them their 16th series win of the season.
Trailing 4-1 midway through the fourth, Nashville tied even after several huge home runs. Cam Devanney hit his second home run as Sound to left field, a two-run outburst that also scored Jon Singleton. Two batters later, Weston Wilson made it 4-4 with a solo left shot.
The Sounds took the lead on back-to-back hits in the fifth. Esteury Ruiz kicked things off with a brace, stole the third, then scored on Singleton’s RBI single to make it a 5-4 game.
Four straight hits in the bottom of the seventh gave Nashville some insurance runs. Jonathan Davis doubled and scored on Ruiz’s base hit. Devanney added another RBI with a single that scored Ruiz a few batters later. Before the end of the round, Singleton headed home on wild terrain for round eight.
Hobie Harris made his sixth save of the season, pinning a base runner in an otherwise calm ninth inning.
The Sounds travel to Louisville for a six-game series against the Bats on Monday. Right-hander Victor Castaneda (1-0, 4.50) starts for Nashville against right-hander Graham Ashcraft (3-1, 1.65) for Louisville. The first pitch is scheduled for 5:35 p.m. CT at Louisville Slugger Field.
- Nashville’s magic number to clinch the International League West Division is six.
- Sal Frelick (0-for-3, RBI, HBP) extended his on-base streak to 35 games with one hit per pitch in the first inning. He is hitting .353 (49 for 139) with 31 runs, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 2 home runs, 16 RBIs and 15 walks during the streak. The 35-game on-base streak is the longest active streak in the International League.
- Trevor Gott (1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K) struck out four in 1.2 innings in his third appearance in rehab with the Sounds.
- Jonath Davis, Esteury Ruiz, Jon Singleton, Cam Devanney and Weston Wilson had several successful games…this was Davis’ 15th with Nashville, Ruiz’s 13th, Singleton’s 25th, Devanney’s 2nd and Wilson’s 22nd .
- Frelick, Wilson and Ruiz each stole a base in the win.
The Nashville Sounds are the Triple-A affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers and play at First Horizon Park. Single match tickets are now on sale for all home matches in 2022.
For more information, call 615.690.4487 or email [email protected]