Denver (KDVR) – Millions of people use online dating services and applications. Online meetings can be frightening, especially given the countless stories of catfish.
With applications like Bumble, Tinder, Hinge, among so many others, protecting you may be the same at all levels.
Many wonder what they can do to stay safe after arrest documents have shown that a 22 -year -old woman tied up a man whom she met on Tinder in her apartment in Colorado Springs for hours, While she apparently stabbed, stifled and threatened to kill him. .
Here are some important reminders and tips to protect yourself if you decide to venture into the world of online meetings.
What are the risks of online meetings?
Get Safe Online said there are risks that you may not consider when it comes to online meetings.
“The vast majority of people who use dating sites are sincere and honest in the information they provide and in the reasons for their membership. However, there are exceptions, and you should know how to protect yourself – as well as your account Banking and your savings – when you meet people online, ”shared the site.
Here are some of these risks:
- Hunt and harassment
- People pretending to someone they are not
- Shooting at the webcam – Someone could record what you do in front of your webcam, then use the recording to get money from you
- Potential flight of your money if you do not use a secure link during your payments
Your dating profile
When it comes to configuring your dating profile on a renowned dating site, it is important to take additional precautions to stay safe.
The national network on rape, abuse and incest said that there are simple measures to ensure your safety:
- Use different photos for your dating profile that you use on social networks. If you use the same photos, someone could use Google to make an inverted image search and find your social media accounts.
- Choose a username that does not allow everyone to find out who you are
- Keep your private details
- Be careful when you open email attachments from someone you have just met
- Hold your IT security software up to date
- Create an anonymous email for your dating profiles
Here are some items to take into account when you talk with someone online or by phone/SMS:
- Avoid suspect profiles – if someone you corresponded to has no organic information or a single photo, it could be a false account.
- Do not respond to requests for financial assistance
- Take your time – don’t tell the story of your life right away
- Do your research
- Report suspicious behavior
The Federal Trade Commission said it was aware of romantic crooks. These are crooks who establish a relationship with their targets to establish their confidence, speaking or sometimes discussing several times a day. Then they invent a story and ask for money, said the FTC.
Here are some of the lies that these crooks could tell you:
- They work on an oil platform
- They are in the army
- They are a doctor with an international organization
Here are some of the reasons why the FTC says the crooks are asking for money:
- To pay a plane ticket or travel expenses
- To pay surgery or other medical costs
- Pay customs fees to recover something
- To reimburse the game debts
- To pay a visa or other official travel documents
If you think you are the victim of a scam, you can report it to the FTC on reportfraud.ftc.gov. You must also immediately end communication with this person.
Dating in person
When it is time to meet someone in person, you can take several measures to ensure your safety. Tinder Safety said you should consider the following:
- Wait until you feel comfortable and do not feel obliged to meet someone until you are ready
- Do you research someone before you meet them for the first time
- Tell your close friends where you are going, including by giving them access to your location using an application like locating my friends
- Meet in a public place – do not return to the apartment or house of someone you have just met
- Provide your own means of transport
- Know your limits and be aware of the effects that alcohol can alter your judgment or vigilance
- Do not leave the drinks unattended
- Do not disclose private information, such as your specific address or workplace
- If you feel uncomfortable, go and finish the appointment
One of the most important things to remember when it comes to online dating or dating applications is that you must always trust your instinct. If something is wrong, it is probably that this is not the case.
Suggest a fix